We’re looking for an Operation Manager at our Exeter site who will have full responsibility for the cost, output, quality, service, health & safety, environment and legal compliance performance of the mill and logistics.
Exeter, full time
What will you do?
You will be working closely with the Supply Chain Director to produce a business plan for manufacturing and logistics in order to achieve success. In doing so, you will ensure that legal requirements for manufacturing and logistics are met whilst meeting agreed customer requirements. We pride ourselves on having extremely high quality products, you will help us to ensure that quality standards are maximised and consistent whilst balancing cost efficiencies.
What is your role?
Business Unit Planning:
- To produce a Business Unit Plan to ensure all departments understand the objectives and tasks to be achieved.
- As part of the Business Unit plan, address cross functional issues such as logistics, order lead time, late orders, load size, CSD and credit control issues.
- Use all available resources to full effect, i.e. operations, engineering, transport, commercial, administration and finance to achieve the Business Unit plan and to ensure cross functional relationships are developed to support the team objectives.
- Detail maintenance and capital spend in the Business Plan, either replacement or new technology, in accordance with the budget.
- Agree a maintenance plan to ensure the mill is kept at the company standards.
- Ensure that raw materials are used in accordance with formulations.
- Ensure that finished product inventory is managed to avoid stock loss and devaluation of material.
- Ensure that the use of working capital is minimised by controlling stock holding levels within agreed targets.
- Achieve the EBITDA target as set by the Business Unit.
- Through regular improvement and profitability review meetings ensure effective liaison between sales, manufacturing CSD and logistics to get the most cost effective solution commensurate with customer service.
- Liaise with the Raw Material and Formulation department, giving feedback on quality, performance and delivery to make best use of Raw Materials purchased.
- Ensure effective Raw Material planning so that stock outs are avoided.
- Manage resource deployment/utilisation, expenses and operational costs in line with budget.
- In conjunction with the Business Unit Director co-ordinate the resources of the manufacturing and logistical departments to achieve the Business Unit objectives.
- Agree changes in manufacturing and logistics strategy or tactics to the Business Unit Director.
- Be responsible for appropriate capital expenditure, managed to budget and ensure budgeted performance.
- Establish a training and development programme to suit the individual requirements of each direct subordinate.
- Manage, motivate and develop employees to achieve a personal plan in line with the key Business Unit objectives.
- Develop a plan of succession to identify key personnel for promotion and exclusive projects to enhance their career.
- Ensure that correct numbers and quality of staff are maintained.
- Continually monitor levels of absence and address problems as necessary.
Health, Safety & Environment
- Ensure a safety first culture operates across the site, and ensure that all company procedures and statutory requirements are fully adhered to.
- In conjunction with the H&S Officer, it is your responsibility to work towards these objectives by planning, training, supervising, consulting, investigating and preventing.
- Manage the sites to the requirements of Environmental permits and compliance to ISO14001 and ISO50001.
- Encourage good Health & Safety practice on site for employees, visitors and contractors, achieving continued improvement on behaviour, accident prevention and near miss reporting
- Ensure audits are conducted on a regular basis to ensure compliance with UFAS standards and relevant Feed legislation.
- Ensure ForFarmers brand image is maintained and promoted throughout the manufacturing departments to support the company image.
- Maintain contact with key accounts and all the local principle influencers in the industry, e.g. statutory bodies, competitors, consultants, veterinaries, local and national publications.
Your CV shows:
- Affinity with the business and markets
- Knowledge of and experience of manufacturing
- Knowledge of and experience of transport & logistics
- Management skills
- Evidence of constantly driving continuous improvement and development
- You are a Proactive / results driven
- Team Player
- IT literate
- Live within 20 miles of site
Are you good at managing people whilst mainlining operational excellence?
If have management experience in manufacturing and logistics with a proactive eye for quality we would like to hear from you!
Are you the Operations Manager we are looking for?
If so, please send your CV with a covering letter through this link (or through the ‘apply’ button).if you have any questions, gin touch with Jordan Carter, UK Recruitment Business Partner via email at Jordan.Carter@forfarmers.eu